Saturday, July 23, 2005

Russia

St. Petersburg, Russia greeted us with a beautiful, blue sky and warm, sunny weather. For a city that only gets a few days of sun each year we were really lucky that every day was gorgeous. Our ship was parked in the Neva River about 5km from town so we did a lot of walking, which I enjoyed. The city is beautiful and very different from what I expected. The first morning I went on a bus tour of the city and to the Hermitage. The Hermitage is an enormous museum on par with the Louvre in France. Walking through every part of Hermitage would cover 27 miles! If you spent one minute looking at every piece in their collection it would take over 11 years! (These are the types of useless tidbits you pick up on guided tours). I started on a guided tour and then branched out on my own. It was amazing. There isn’t even any Russian art in it – that is all housed in the Russian Museum (which I didn’t make it to). I saw two Da Vinci’s, Michelangelo, Picasso, Monet, and much more.


The Interior of the Hermitage

I’ve always viewed Russia as a poorer country and while there are many people living in poverty I was shocked at the riches – the Hermitage, the palaces, the ornate churches, and the beautiful architecture. Although many of the places look wonderful on the outside and then when you wonder into the alleys between the buildings it is falling apart, however still beautiful in the way old brick can be.


In Russia the women are very fashionable in a 1980’s type of way and wear a lot of mini skirts and high heels. It’s rather amazing because the streets are often cobblestone or cracked up concrete. They also have these floor mats at many doorways that have holes just big enough for a high heel. Of course being less practiced at heels than the Russians, when I was leaving the ballet I got my heel stuck in one of the mat holes and then while trying to pull it out the other got stuck and then got it stuck for a third time and finally just walked out barefoot and laughing. Fortunately, I wasn’t the only American that had this problem.

The second day I spent time in St. Petersburg wondering around and visited the Church on Spilled Blood, which was incredible and is what I picture when I think of Russia.

the interior of the Church on Spilled Blood

The third night I traveled to Moscow with Semester at Sea. I was one of three trip leaders for the 93 participants. The experience was pretty crazy only because we were traveling with so many people, it was like herding cats. We had a few Russian tour guides with us – one was fabulous and the rest were only okay. Since we are not used to trains most of us didn’t sleep much on the way to Moscow. The day we spent in Moscow was very busy seeing the Kremlin and various other sights. By 11am I had probably had 30 people complain to me about something – always something I could do nothing about – the toilets, the tour guide, the bus, the heat, the itinerary, you name it people complained to me. Finally, I told them all to keep their negative thoughts to their selves that I wanted to enjoy the day and would not be able to if everyone complained to me. Well, then everyone had to come up and apologize to me which usually went something like this, “Amy, I am so sorry I was complaining to you. I didn’t realize you were getting so many complaints. It’s just that my camera ran out of batteries and I want to go back to the bus to get more. Do you know how much longer we’ll be at the Kremlin?” The whininess in their voice increasing with every word. What can you do? What I don’t understand is why would someone travel via a second class, overnight train in Russia and expect the Holiday Inn? You would think people would understand what they are getting into or at least just go with the flow, even if they have never been to Russia. Geez, very few Americans even get the privilege of traveling to Russia. The elitism of some of the students is my biggest frustration here. I think maybe some people are just never happy, no matter what they are doing or where they are. Those are the people I struggle with the most. Granted this particular trip was difficult because it was so structured. All of us were craving some free time to just wonder around Moscow. Finally, before dinner we had about 45 minutes in Red Square, which relaxed people a bit. Then we went to the Moscow circus, which was a highlight for me. It was excellent! Unfortunately, there were no trapeze flyers even though the bars were hanging. That was a disappointment, but a minor one. On the train ride home everyone slept very soundly. We were so tired after our busy day. Moscow is a beautiful city and much cleaner than St. Petersburg. I would love to go back and be able to explore more.


St. Basil in the Red Square in Moscow


Me in Red Square

Russia is an interesting country. It is an enormous country spanning 13 time zones and dwarfing the U.S. With the end of communism in 1991 the Russians have experienced so much change. Many people we talked with said they preferred communism over the current situation. I think part of this is because they do not have the infrastructure that we have in the States. There are very few roads outside of the cities, many people are very poor, and the police are corrupt and can be paid off easily. One example of their lack of infrastructure is their phone system. There are pay phones throughout the city, but you can only use a phone card from the company that owns the phone. Imagine if you had an MCI calling card, but could only find AT&T pay phones. You would be out of luck. It might not be so bad if phone cards were readily available, but no one I knew could ever figure out where the phone cards were sold. I imagine it will take at least 20 years for the infrastructure to match western Europe and the U.S.



3 comments:

Frieda Anderson said...

Amy I told you you would love it, it is so incredible. Can't wait till you are home and we can chat. Love and kisses
F

Deb R said...

I love reading about your travels and your photos are incredible!

(You've made me decide I need to visit Iceland someday!)

Elle said...

Thanks for sharing your travels w/us! I am really enjoying your postings!