Saturday, September 03, 2005

Back at Home

The 10 day voyage across the Atlantic from Spain to Ft. Lauderdale was wonderful. The first day we set sail from Bilbao, Spain I was feeling eager and just wanted to get home. But, after a few days I found myself really enjoying life on the ship. It was the longest stretch we had sailed and I found it to be relaxing, comforting, and peaceful. The ocean was so blue, the color of ultramarine blue paint just out of the tube. Even though we were on the ocean so much I am sad to say I never saw a single dolphin or whale all summer. I really wanted to. Other people did, but I was never in the right place at the right time. Most people don’t know this about me, but I almost became a marine mammal biologist. I even toured the grad school at the University of Washington, but later decided experiential education was better for me.

It has been a rough transition home. Several things I was looking forward to upon my return are not happening or have dissolved away. I’ll spare you the details, but often I wish I was still back on the ship sailing across the Atlantic. Things are getting better the longer I am home, mostly due to the wonderful, supportive friends I have. Close friends were what I missed the most about being away. There is something so wonderful about being with people who know you, who like you, who love you, and you just feel comfortable with. Of course, by the end of the summer I had met many wonderful friends and I truly hope we stay in touch and get to see each other again someday.

I’ve made a 20 minute video with my photos set to music. Once I show it to my friends I’ll post it on my blog so all of you can see it if you want. I had a great time making it and I think it turned out pretty good.

This summer we traveled 10,500 nautical miles and visited 10 countries. I can’t wait for the next trip!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would very much like to see your video. Am glad you are home, safe and sound. Sigh....it is in the fall that I miss Madison the most.

teri

Tiredmom said...

hello amy,
I finally joined the blog world and am still trying to figure out how to add pictures. I am glad you are home and would love to see you video. The name i have picked out is Tired mom but had to abbreviate since that one was taken. look it up sometime at tirdmom@blogspot.com.
Talk to you soon,

Leanne