Sunday, March 19, 2006

Spouse Beater

Last Thursday, an hour after my last post, my brother called me at work after getting two emails about his wife beater shirt and he said, “Amy, what did you do?” How quickly he assumes it’s me! I innocently said, “Greg, what’s the matter? What are you talking about?” while trying to stifle my laughter. I told him to look at my blog. He thought the whole thing was funny and his partner fell off his chair laughing when he heard what I did and then said that Greg and I were cut from the same cloth. See, a few months ago there was this email that went around from this lady who was appalled that the US Postal Service would print a stamp depicting an Islamic holiday; since all Muslims are terrorists and all (very heavy sarcasm here). So, my brother decided to email everyone he knew and have them send her a postcard with the stamp and a nice note or smiley face (who knows why her mailing address was on the email). Of course, I thought this was great and sent off several. So, see we think a bit alike. Although, in the case of our views about how language affects people we see things differently.

By the end of the day on Thursday Greg wasn’t laughing as much anymore since he had been inundated with emails (nice job everyone!). For some reason he felt compelled to answer them all and he signed them “give my love to Amy” which I, and my office mates, found hilarious. Being a stubborn soul he emailed me and said he was definitely not changing the name of his shirt now. Although on his website it is now called “spouse beater” instead of “wife beater” so we can have equal opportunity abuse. Wouldn’t want to favor the wives now would we?

Fortunately, my bro and I have a good enough relationship that we can tease and even be mad at each other and it’s all still good. I feel very fortunate about that. However, this has really made me think about how even though we grew up in the same house we had very different experiences that have probably shaped how we view things. For one, we went to very different colleges (Me – medium-sized, diverse public school in NC, Greg – small, private, yuppie college in FL). I’ve also lived all over the country and probably grown more aware of racism, sexism, and other oppressions than he has and I’ve tried to educate myself and read about it and talk about it with people. I’ve even facilitated groups on social justice issues. There is just a lot of crap out there and I feel like the people in the best position to make a difference are those in the majority (i.e. white, male, heterosexual). I don’t want to get on a soap box because there is so much more I could do to make this world better.

Another thing about Greg and I is that even though we are only four years apart we are in different generations. He is in The Millennials and I am a Gen Xer, which means that different events shaped our lives when we were growing up. I won’t bore you with all the details of our lives growing up, but I think that our experiences have shaped our perceptions of life and that’s partly why he doesn’t get the “wife beater” complaint. Hopefully one of his buyers will complain about it and that will carry a lot more weight than me, his lowly sister. Until then - there are worse problems to worry about.

That’s all for now. Adios!

4 comments:

gjclimer said...

I count myself lucky to have gone from an amazingly diverse high school and then move into a homogenous college. i saw a different version of american life, one that was foreign to me. I grew up in a diverse environment and then came to understand why that is important by having it removed. I moved around to different eastern states, to a small blue collar North Carolina town, a village in Connecticut where we often forgot to close our front door at night and finally moved out of the country all together. I am a unique form of ex-patriot, i call myself a New Yorker: We are the most diverse country on earth, with several hundred languages spoken with just a few dozen square miles. We don't drive cars, so we all spend time together each morning and afternoon. And we do consider it our own country. . . its got little in common with the 2000 miles west of Manhattan.

i have probably experienced more in NYC than Amy is aware. I know that when i was in college we would talk a lot and we would form social committees, but when i moved to NYC i discovered that the talking and debating and words don't feed my neighbors. The homeless guy on the subway doesn't care that when i meet up with my friends for lattes and discuss poverty. The woman i watched get beaten by her boyfriend on the subway at 2-am didn't care that i objected to violence (and yes, the police did arrest him at the next station).
i think its wonderful that people do talk and debate and discuss but i also think its fool-hearty to assume that words alone can protect the endangered. I am amazed that this much energy and this much time has been spent worrying about a shirt that isn't even mass produced. Right now there are less than 20 of them on the entire planet. I know, i made them. I would love to see all this energy we are devoting to semantics be devoted to more useful things. like making ice cream. or fighting bad fashion. or figuring out what the hell Millennials are!

Amy Climer said...

you all make me laugh out loud. I must say I love our family. Others must think we are nuts, which makes it even better.

Big hugs! see you all in April!

Anonymous said...

So, what college did Greg go to? Rollins??

BTW, where did you end up buying (what part of Madison??). Boy, I miss that city!!

teri

Deborah Boschert said...

It seems the shirt is gone from the website altogether now. I guess "bad press" can sell 20 shirts pretty fast.