Thursday, July 31, 2008

Teaching at Rhinelander School of the Arts

Last week I left the Boundary Waters Canoe Trip two days early (see previous post) so that I could teach at the Rhinelander School of the Arts in Rhinelander, WI. I taught two week-long classes: Fabric Dyeing and Surface Design on Fabric and Jump Start Your Creativity. Both classes were fun, but I particularly enjoyed the surface design class. The creativity class was the first time I had taught it in 5 consecutive days and I think it works better as a once/week class, unless I really change up the format which is a possibility.

I have a few photos from the Surface Design class below.

students washing fabric

Every morning students arrived early to wash out their fabric they dyed the day before. This sink scene was a common beginning to the day.


student screen printing

I use and teach a non-traditional screen printing style that allows the image on the screen to dissolve as you go so that each print looks a little different. It's tons of fun and the results are exciting and unexpected.

student adding more dye to her screen printed piece

Students were encouraged to do multiple processes on each piece of fabric. This produces depth and complexity to the fabric making it more interesting.

a proud student!

A wall of finished fabric

Rhinelander 2008 class! (I am kneeling in the front)


student work

more student work

show 'n' tell on the last day

It was a great week and I really enjoyed the students - they always make teaching so much fun. Students - I hope you all will keep dyeing, experimenting, and playing with fabric! Have fun out there!


No comments: